Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Wha??!

National Book has spoken, and all I have to say is that I am going to have to go read this one again. It would absolutely have been my last choice from the finalists—not that it's not a good book, but it's just sort of blandly meh good, not good good. Or so I think after just one reading. I'm totally ready to stand corrected. I'll read it again tomorrow.

You know, last year, when Story of a Girl became a finalist I was kind of shocked because I had read it several months earlier very very quickly and was so bored I totally skimmed through the second half. But then I read it again more carefully and realized I was wrong and it's actually quite good and not at all what it seems it is on the surface. Not my-personal-favorite-book-of-the-year good, but solidly good.

So, ok. I'm going to go now, cry a little, then try to come to terms with the fact that Disreputable History (which I've now re-read thrice and love more each time) didn't win. Why am I always wrong about these things?? Ack!

No comments:

Post a Comment