Sunday, January 11, 2009

My "Week" in Reading, vol. 1

So 2009 is young, and it might be possible to do what I've always kind of wanted to do and keep track of what I read. I always wonder how many books I actually finish, because it feels like I read a lot, but then again I do most of my reading only while commuting, so it's only actually 2 or 3 a week. We'll see how this goes. This here is going to be a bit of a catch-up, what I've read so far this year, and then maybe from here on out I'll update every weekend. Or something.

Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie
,
Jodan Sonnenblick
Ugh. I hate to be negative, and I know it's for the middle reader/young YA audience, but it was all I could do to not put this one down.

Jerk, California
, Jonathan Friesen
Meh. Again, if I can't say anything nice why say anything at all, but then again if I'm going to list everything, I can't possibly love them all. Boy with Tourette's goes on assigned road trip to learn important lessons about his dead father and himself. The intensity and quick development of the various relationships didn't make sense, and it reminded me a bit too much of my least favorite award-winner ever, Whirligig by Paul Fleischman.

The Hunger Games
, Suzanne Collins
A re-read, so it won't count for the total, although I only read it for the first time on the plane home after Christmas, and also I'm a huge re-reader so that'll happen a lot. Maybe I'll do a separate count of those.

The Boyfriend List
, E. Lockhart
I avoided this forever because the cover made it look like silly chick lit on the shelf, but now that I know how awesome this writer is, I reserved it at the library, and wasn't disappointed. I just wish I could have read it when I was about 14.

The Spectacular Now
, Tim Tharp
Another re-read that I've already blathered about. I like.

The Midnighters III
, Scott Westerfeld
This was the only one the library had, and I haven't read the second, so I had to figure out what was happening on the fly. Note to self: read trilogies/series in order. Still quite entertaining, in spite of my confusion.

The Dead and the Gone
, Susan Beth Pfeffer
Asteroid hit throws moon out of orbit, causes catastrophic problems on Earth; boy in upper Manhattan has to take care of himself and his sisters when the parents never come home. Didn't like it as much as Life as We Knew It; would have loved if there were more about the briefly discussed evacuation of the entire city and its cultural artifacts etc. I know it's about the struggle of this one non-rich boy, not the whole of NYC. I know. Still, there was a really interesting story in the background that was only barely touched on.

TOTAL
New reads: 5
Re-reads: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment