Saturday, January 31, 2009

readreadread, Vol. 4

The BPL really came through for me this week—check out this nice stack of books I picked up from the reserve shelf today! I have a good feeling about next week's reading, and soon I'll finally be able to talk about the books everyone else is already done discussing.

But meanwhile, this week was more scant, partly because I started and then quit two different books that didn't do it for me—which is actually something I rarely do. I did finish two good ones though:

Impossible, Nancy Werlin
This one was not at all what I was expecting. For a story about a girl who has to perform three impossible tasks to break a curse placed on her family by an elfin knight, it's surprisingly unfantastical. Which is not a bad thing, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I have to say I was a tad disappointed in how simple and literal the solutions ended up being. Need to figure out how to plow an acre of land with a goat's horn? Why, just buy some goat horns on ebay and turn a wheelbarrow into a makeshift plow and go to it! (No, that's not the whole task or anything, so I haven't given much away). I was expecting some more clever fairy-taleish riddle-y solutions though. Basically, a sweet love story, with (as Kirkus says) a "startlingly wholesome" ending.

Madapple, Christina Meldrum
I'm not quite sure what I think about this one. It's about an isolated girl whose mother believed her to be a virgin birth and raised her to know about medicinal plants, ancient runes and esoteric religion, but little of the outside world. The text cuts between courtroom transcripts from her later murder trial, and flashbacks that show how she ended up there. Complicated, beautifully written and atmospheric. But just...I don't know, it was kind of all over the place. People seem to either love it or hate it, or else love and hate it simultaneously. I think I might be one of the latter.

Week's total: 2
YTD total: 11 new, 2 re-reads

No comments:

Post a Comment