Saturday, January 3, 2009

Stuff to look forward to in 2009

The worst thing about being a fan of YA lit without actually being in the biz is that I don't have access to ARCs. I actually have to wait until a book is released to read it, and by then it feels like I'm the last person in the world. But here are a few 2009 titles that I'm looking forward to. And I'm really going to try to be patient.

Wintergirls, by Laurie Halse Anderson (March)
Word is it's better than Speak, so even though I've been kind of lukewarm on some of her recent books, I'm looking forward to this one (even if it is about anorexia.) Speak might have been about date rape, but it would have been just as good if it were about almost anything else since it was the characters and the writing that make it interesting. So until I hear otherwise I'm going to assume this one will totally transcend the tediousness of the typical eating disorder problem novel.

Sacred Scars, by Kathleen Duey. (August)
As many know, Skin Hunger was just about my favorite book of 2007. I first heard of it from Sharyn November at the first Brooklyn Book Festival where she said it was one of the books she was currently reading. She made it sound so dark and cool that I immediately bought a copy. In fact, it's not so dark at all. Or it is I suppose (I mean, the wizards do let their students starve to death if they can't figure out how to magically conjure food), but it's just so meditative and intense that even though I literally felt hungry and desperate (and super-attuned to my own breathing) the whole time I was reading it, it somehow doesn't have time to seem grim. Later of course, it became a National Book Award finalist. And now it seems like I've been waiting forever for the second book in the series. August just cannot come soon enough.

Leviathan, by Scott Westerfeld. (September)
No picture available for this one, and I don't really know much about it, but a) it's Scott Westerfeld, so how bad could it be? And b) I was on Amazon looking for a box set of Uglies and apparently the first two chapters are available at the end of that silly-looking new Uglies guide, and based on that one reviewer described it as "a steampunk version of World War I with diesel-powered battlemechs." What else could I possibly need to know? Can't. Wait. (!!!)

And there's so many more. I may have to post a part II when I have more time...

2 comments:

  1. I am finishing up the copyedits on Sacred Scars now...sorry to keep you waiting. I am very happy to know you liked Skin Hunger...

    Your blog is wonderful.

    Happy New Year!
    k

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you want penguin arcs, lemme know. easy enough to send.

    ReplyDelete