Sunday, March 29, 2009

What I (Didn't) Read

I've been so lazy! I think it's been a few weeks since I tallied up my reading, and that's mostly because I've barely been reading. I returned some things to the library last week, and now I don't even remember what they were, which says something about how awesome they weren't. But here's what I remember.

Discovering Pig Magic, Julie Crabtree
About three friends who perform a bit of a magic ritual they learned from a book and then the changes they've wished for may or may not be happening, but in unexpected ways. blah blah

Rubber Houses, Ellen Yeomans
A short half-bath-sized verse novel about a girl whose little brother dies of cancer.

Two Moons in August, Martha Brooks
Set in the 50s and sort of retro-atmospheric, it's about a girl whose mother died and whose family isn't doing so well, and then she meets a boy, and so on. It reminded me of What I Saw and How I Lied, mostly in the way it name-dropped specific Revlon lipstick shades or names of perfumes, no doubt because the author browsed some vintage magazine ads and didn't want the research go to waste (or at least that's the impression I got from both those books).

And there were a couple others that I remember mostly for the shoulder strain the hardbacks caused, but I can't for the life of me remember what they were. Urgh.

Mostly I've been reading some actual adult books which need not be mentioned here. Except for P.G. Wodehouse, which was inspired by E. Lockhart and Frankie Landau-Banks. I can't believe I never read any of the Jeeves books, but that is changing.

(p.s. From now on, when I link to book info, I'll be using indiebound instead of amazon, so you can either find a local indie bookstore that carries them, or else buy online from an indie.)

No comments:

Post a Comment