Monday, July 27, 2009

Green Tomatoes

I really mean to stop posting about my garden. I really do, but the thing is, it's all new to me and it's taking up more of my mental energy than reading YA is and so this is just how it is for a minute.

The thing is, I really effed up my tomatoes. How was I to know that just because all instructions say to plant them 2 feet apart and in cages or sturdily staked that I should plant them two feet apart and sturdily stake them?? Rules are for suckers with space to burn, I thought, and all I've got is this tiny Brooklyn patch and the plants were quite small when I started... So now they're really crammed in there—7 plants in the space 2 should have been, and they're way bigger than I thought they'd get and the bamboo that was supposed to be holding them up isn't as sturdy as I thought and the whole mess was collapsing under its own weight. Branches were snapping off and all light to the rest of the garden was blocked by this dense jungle. Heavy rains the last coupla days were the final straw.

So, I tried to fix things tonight, laboriously untangling all these intertwined branches, trimming fruitless branches and restaking everything slightly more neatly. It's still a mess, but it's better. What happened though is that in the process a bunch of fruit fell off and some stems got broken and also several branches had already snapped off and I didn't even know because they were being held upright in the tangle.

So now I've got myself an unexpected pile of green tomatoes, which is disappointing, but it's still a harvest! I've been googling for good recipes. So far I've decided to make a gratin and some green-tomato-lemon marmalade.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Fried Green Tomatoes!!!

    Here is a link I thought you might like:
    www.happiness-project.com/happiness_project/2007/07/what-i-learned-.html

    another article about adults reading children's and YA lit.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete