Sunday, September 6, 2009

Gordon Korman!

So this week here in NYC, on Wednesday the 9th from 6-7:30 pm, it's Teen Author Reading Night at the Jefferson Market branch of NYPL.

There are plenty of teen author related events around town, and normally I wouldn't bother to mention it, but this time Mr. Gordon Korman is one of the featured authors, reading from his new book Pop.  Now Gordon Korman is the guy who is single-handedly responsible for me feeling hopelessly inadequate for most of my life.  Because when he was twelve years old, unlike myself, Gordon Korman was busy writing his first novel,  This Can't Be Happening at Macdonald Hall, which was the start of the "Bruno and Boots" series featuring hilarious boarding school hijinks.   I totally loved them when I was about eight or nine, but I just couldn't compete.  My writing was trite and childish; it was very depressing.

He's written approximately a billion books since then, and lately he just keeps churning out the award-winners.  Jerk!  He didn't even have the decency to peak young and live out his adulthood bitter and washed-up.  But he'll be in town, and he's a funny, talented guy, so go be dazzled!

P.S.  Loads of other terrific authors will be there too:
Justine Larbalestier, Liar
David Levithan, Love is the Higher Law
E. Lockhart, The Treasure Map of Boys (Yay!)
Lauren McLaughlin, Recycler
Bennett Madison, The Blonde of the Joke
Dan Poblocki, The Stone Child
Scott Westerfeld, Leviathan

No comments:

Post a Comment