Saturday, September 5, 2009

Reading Lists and Such

When I started reading YA it was only just because I was tired of wondering what I would read next on the subway.  I wanted a ready-made reading list that would never run out, and at the time I had just re-read a bunch of the Cormier books I had loved as a kid and was amazed at how well they held up.  I wanted to see what was going on in the world of modern YA, so I figured I'd just read all the award winners, and at first it was simple:  the Printz winners and honorees, the National Book Award winners and finalists, the LA Times Book Prize and the BBYA Top Ten. 

Which is approximately 25 books a year, except that there's always a bunch of overlap, so it's more like 15 or 20 depending.  When I started all this maybe four or five years ago, there were a hundred or so books on my list (at first I was only going back to 2000, which is when the Printz began). But then every year more were added of course, and I started paying attention to all kinds of other fun awardsgenre awards and non-US awards and so on.  It's more or less endless.  And so I never did finish  everything on that original list.

And now, to get back on track and because I keep accidentally picking up such disappointing books lately, I'm resurrecting my list.  I just put what's left of it over in the sidebar there.  There are 34 books on it right now, and hopefully there will be 0 by the end of the year.  Some are from the last couple years and some go back a little farther.  I've been avoiding The Ropemaker for years, for instance, and I'm not even sure why. 

So.  As I do every Saturday morning, I trudged through the park to the library, planning for an extra-long bath later so I can start making a dent.  But the library is closed today.  Eff!!   I forgot about the stupid holiday closing.  It's closed until Tuesday.  Now what'll I read all weekend?? 

Unrelatedly, I think this weekend I'll finally pull up my tomato plants.  They're so diseased, and get sadder looking by the day, but they still have fruit on them and I've been hoping they'd hold on until it all ripened.  But I just picked the last brandywines and gorged myself on tomato slices and fresh mozzarella.  Really, I can't believe how delicious it was.  They were the ones I was most looking forward to, so maybe it's time to put the  plants out of their misery now.  Poor guys.  Next year will be better.  I saved plenty of seeds and am not quite so incompetent anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment