Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sacred Scars by Kathleen Duey!

Sacred Scars is one of my most eagerly-anticipated books this year.  I loved Skin Hunger so much, as I've said more than once here, and I was so eager to read the next part of the story.  And now I actually finished it awhile ago, but haven't written anything because I'm not quite sure what to say.  It's a terrific book, but not quite a free-standing novel.  It's more like the middle section of what's going to be a single long story once the third volume comes out.

I admit that I had a sinking feeling when the book arrived and I saw how thick it is—more than 500 pages(What's up with all these trilogies/series that start with a regular-size book and then ratchet up the subsequent volumes to ginormous proportions?  I'm getting back trouble from all the lugging about of giant hardbacks).  

But that's neither here nor there.  It takes a lot of pages to slowly and methodically unfold this rich, dark world Duey's creating.  Hahp and the rest have been at the Academy for years and keep surviving their increasingly-advanced lessons; they continue to quietly plot to destroy the Academy. Gerrard's more of a mystery, and is it just me or does time seem to be doing funny things?  Meanwhile, in the past, Sadima realizes Franklin is never going to leave Somiss and the caged boys.  So she leaves, and eventually loses her memory and spends decade after decade magically not aging and quietly selling cheese (this is where the book drags a bit).  Eventually she meets the Eridians, political tensions are at a peak, and you know that things are about to happen and worlds are going to collide, but the pages are running out!  And then it ends abruptly.  Augh!

So.  It seems like the pieces are in place now for everything to come together, for all the accumulated little details to come into play.  I've got a good feeling about the final book.

As an aside, here's something that's really bothering me: I can't find this book in stores!  It came out in August, and I started eagerly looking for it, to no avail.  Months later it's still not there. I haven't checked every store in NYC obviously, but I keep looking at quite a few, both big stores and indies, and they're not stocking it and it's driving me insane!  If being the much-anticipated (I know it's not just me) follow-up to a National Book Award finalist isn't enough to get a book on store shelves, what in the world does it take??

No comments:

Post a Comment