Saturday, February 13, 2010

2010 BBYA!

You guys, I have a cockroach problem and I need it to go away.  It started a couple weeks ago with one in the kitchen sink rushing out from under a dirty plate.  And now in the last week I've seen four more.  The giant ones that fly and skitter.  I've put out fresh bait traps and have been meticulously tidy in the kitchen, but they're not going away, and I just now tried to squash one with a shoe, but missed and now I can hear it scratching around under my bed. [update: the cat killed it for me!]

But that's neither here nor there.  What I meant to say was that I just realized I had never mentioned the ALA's Best Books for Young Adults list. Here's the top ten:

Demon's Lexicon, Sarah Rees Brennan
The Orange Houses, Paul Griffin
The Great Wide Sea, M.H. Herlong
The Reformed Vampire Support  Group, Catherine Jinks
Alligator Bayou, Donna Jo Napoli
Stitches, David Small
When You Reach Me, Rebecca Stead
Marcelo in the Real World, Francisco X. Stork
Lips Touch, Laini Taylor
Written in Bone: Buried Lives of Jamestown and Colonial Maryland, Sally M. Walker

If you look at the whole list of 90 books though, the description of the second item (Tales of the Madman Underground) uses a quote from the book that includes the word effing, but spelled all the way out, and for some prudish reason that bothers me.  Shouldn't a professional publication like that bleep it with asterisks, (or just paraphrase and avoid the issue altogether)?

No comments:

Post a Comment