Sunday, February 28, 2010

Recent Reading: So Sick of Winter Edition

OMG, I just read the best book!
The Monstrumologist, Rick Yancey
I was nervous about reading this, and almost didn't even though it was a Printz Honor book this year.  I read several reviews that stressed that it was a "real" horror book, packed with gore and whatnot, which is not really my thing at all.
But I started it and got instantly hooked.  Yes, it's horror and possibly the bloodiest, bone-crunchingest book I've ever read, and yes, it's a pretty great piece of literature. After reading Alfred Kropp I can't even believe this is by the same author. 

Also,  the picture for the Kindle version is cracking me up. If that were what the hardcover looked like I would have been less nervous, but also way less interested in picking it up.  It just looks silly, and for some reason has been given a ridiculous subtitle.  And anyway, is that really what the anthropophagi look like?  They seem awfully buff and drooly...


And here's what else I read in the last coupla weeks:
The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp, Rick Yancey
I picked this one up at the library because The Monstrumologist wasn't available yet and I wanted to read some Rick Yancey to see what he's all about.  This is the first of a series about a bumbling kid who accidentally steals the sword Excalibur, which had been guarded by descendants of the Knights of the Round Table for centuries.  And then it turns out he's descended from Lancelot himself, the only heir.  Obviously, adventures ensue. Here's what I didn't get: This is the supposed to be the unbeatable weapon, right?  Bad guys all over the world would pay any amount of money and/or kill whoever for it because they'd be unstoppable in battle. But twice Alfred gets it away from a guy by kicking him in the crotch and grabbing it when he stumbles?  Twice!

Black Mirror, Nancy Werlin
The Bermudez Triangle, Maureen Johnson
Heaven, Angela Johnson

Recently: 5
YTD: 17

No comments:

Post a Comment