Sunday, April 25, 2010

Recent Reading, and etc.

I've been taking a bit of a break from reading YA lately.  And from this blog too.  Too many adult books to read at the moment.  Actually, among other things, I've been simultaneously reading The Feminine Mystique, Gail Collins' When Everything Changed: The Amazing Journey of American Women from 1960 to the Present and working my way through season three of Mad Men on DVD.  The combination has been blowing my mind.

But now it's one of those Sunday mornings.  It's raining gently, which means the stupid birds that usually start shrieking outside my windows at the crack of dawn are quiet; I'm wearing ugly sweatpants and drinking coffee; my fatter cat is curled against my hip snoring loudly and the other one is washing her crotch in my lap.  Couldn't be more effing idyllic.  Basically I have nothing better to do than try to remember the few YA-related things I finished in the last several weeks:

The Dead-Tossed Waves (Forest of Hands and Teeth, Book 2)The Dead-Tossed Waves, Carrie Ryan
The sequel to The Forest of Hands and Teeth, this one features more zombie fun, plus new additions to the post-apocalyptic world of the first book: zombie-worshipping cults, the possibility of immunity to infection, other towns linked by the forest paths and so on.  Plus romance and running from the law. 

Funny How Things Change, Melissa Wyatt
Sweet story about a West Virginia kid who actually likes his small mining town and doesn't want to "get out" even though everyone's telling him he should.

I Am the Wallpaper, Mark Peter Hughes
This one's for slightly younger readers, and is slightly too silly. This girl decides to become more amazing so everyone will finally notice her and then her cousin starts posting her diary online and also some racy photos of her.  So yeah, people notice.


Audrey, Wait!Audrey, Wait!, Robin Benway
When I saw this in the library I had it mixed up in my head with Love, Aubrey, which I had been hearing good things about.  But Audrey, Wait is fun, though I really doubt that some random girl would get quite so much paparazzi attention without doing anything at all.  If she were some party girl or something, then maybe.

Things Not Seen, Andrew Clements
One of my favorite YA books of all time is Robert Cormier's Fade, so I am always excited to read a new story about invisible teenagers.  Unfortunately, this one's more a relationship story than any kind  of convincing exploration of invisibility. Nothing wrong with that I guess.

Unseen Companion, Denise Gosliner Orenstein
Lyrical story about racism in a small Alaskan town.

The Lost Conspiracy, Frances Hardinge
Will Grayson, Will Grayson, John Green and David Levithan

Since last time: 8
YTD: 32

No comments:

Post a Comment