Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Will Grayson, Will Grayson

I knew John Green was popular, but I had no idea.  I had just bought a copy of Will Grayson, Will Grayson, the new book co-written by Green and John Levithan, and innocently went to a reading/signing the other day.  It didn't even occur to me to try to get there early.  Oy.  There were hundreds of people there, mostly kids, and mostly the kind of kid I used to be.  Except they were wearing John Green and nerdfighters-themed t-shirts.  I felt old and weird, and also hot and uncomfortable because the collective body heat was out of control. Plus I was standing in the back unable to see anything.  I slunk away before it was over, but was very charmed to see how enthusiastic everyone was. 

So, the book.  I know you already know this, but it's about two guys both named Will Grayson who are each trying to straighten out their own romantic situations when their paths cross one day.  There's enough gay drama in both of their lives that things intertwine a bit.  There's this part in the middle, right as they're meeting, that caused me to have to stifle an actual audible gasp while reading on the subway.  One non-Will-Grayson character has been doing something terribly, terribly egregious to one of the Wills, and it's completely gut-wrenching. (If you know me and have also read the book you know I'd be in the fetal position on the floor forever if such a thing happened to me.)  But the Will Grayson it happens to is a little more resilient, and eventually things work out surprisingly well.  Lessons are learned, friendships grow, love blossoms (for some) and so on.  And there's a musical.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's now my favorite John Green book, and my favorite David Levithan book. I think. (Except there are some mean-spirited fat jokes.  Seriously guys, what's up with that?)

No comments:

Post a Comment