Sunday, August 1, 2010

Alopecia Areata

So, one of the things I've been very busy with while I've not been writing in this blog is suffering from alopecia areata.  Which is to say my hair is falling out, and I've been spending most of my spare time trying to hide a rapidly growing bald spot and freaking out about it. My spot is now three inches in diameter,  right on the crown of my head, and is bruised-looking and achy.  I've been getting steroid injections in my scalp which has caused some stubble to re-sprout in the initial spot, but hasn't stopping the handfuls of hair that keep coming out every time I shower.  My bathroom sink actually got clogged from all the extra hairs getting washed down it.  It's all so upsetting I can't even tell you!

Fairest of Them AllOf course, at times like this, I turn to YA lit. Fairest of Them All, by Jan Blazanin is a problem novel about exactly this issue.  Except that the alopecia sufferer is not a regular person like me, but a girl who has been groomed from birth to be a pageant contestant, dancer and actress; her identity and her paycheck depend on her beautiful hair.  When she loses her hair she has to figure out a whole new identity for herself, and a whole new way to relate to her stage mom.  Not as cheesy as it easily could have been, and I'm sure it will be inspiring for the average reader, but the terrifying progression of her hair loss was a real downer for me at the moment.

Because of AnyaBecause of Anya by Margaret Peterson Haddix is a book for slightly younger readers.  Anya loses all her hair, is very upset, wears a wig, gets found out, and everyone's mean to her except for Keely who stands up to the mean girls and cuts off her own hair in solidarity.  Informative.

But why can't someone write a book about a girl with a small bald spot that goes away and then everything is fine??