Monday, January 10, 2011

The great thing about following YA lit awards is that they're pretty manageable.  The field's only been handing out big awards for the last 10 or 15 years.  The Printz started in 2000; the National Book Awards added the Young People's Lit category in 1997, and so on.  Even if you're new to the field you can catch up on all the big winners.  Try doing that with "adult" literature, or with those Newberys that go back to, what, 1929 or something?  YA is as do-able as it is awesome.  Here's the full list of Printz winners and honor books. 

So, as I do every year about this time, I've decided to finally get around to reading the handful that I still haven't read.  I have huge mental blocks about The Ropemaker by Peter Dickinson (which I've checked out of the library several times and returned it unread again and again) and Black Juice by Margo Lanagan (which I've read the first quarter of about four times).  But I will push through!  Also, I had an off year in 2008 and totally ignored the honor books.  So I've never read One Whole and Perfect Day or Dreamquake despite having heard good things about them.  And I once picked up Your Own, Sylvia but as one of those ladies who spent her youth being a bit obsessed with Sylvia Plath, I was sort of bothered by the way they co-opted her style to tell her story.  But I'm ready to be wrong on that one since I know so many people who really love it.  Anyway.  Just five books, plus a few from today, and then I'll be all caught up.  A pretty pointless accomplishment, but what isn't?

No comments:

Post a Comment