Friday, May 27, 2011

misc. stuff

Ok, this has nothing to do with anything.  But I can't stop thinking about something that happened a few weeks ago, something very inconsequential.  And that was that one afternoon I was walking across 3rd street to the thrift store when I saw a book lying on the ground just outside of someone's gate.  And I almost picked it up because it looked like one of the gazillions of books that people leave on their sidewalks for people to take. 

But!  The book was What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen.  In hardcover.  And it wasn't even officially out in stores yet.  Some kid must have dropped it out of their backpack or something, right?  There's no way someone was giving it away.  Maybe? Or maybe it was some librarian-type who gets loads of free books and was done with it..  It really was in a free-book location.  Argh!  Why didn't I grab it and run??!  ..I know I have to just let it go. 

Meanwhile, I've been reading loads of fun things. I'm halfway through Libba Bray's Beauty Queens, which magically downloaded to my kindle a few days ago since I'd pre-ordered it.  Thank goodness I got the ebook version, too, cause I would have a real problem being seen with this cover on the subway.  It's not what it looks like, though, in a very good way. 

And I'm halfway through Neal Shusterman's Everfound, which so far I'm enjoying quite a lot though I can't stand that someone decided to name the series the "Skinjacker Trilogy." It just gives it such a dark feel printed all big on the cover like that.  Why not just the Everlost Trilogy?  Much better match to the tone of the books. 

And!!!!!!  I just picked up my copy of Sweet Valley Confidential from the library.  I was only number 38 on the hold list when it came out, but it seems like I've been waiting forever.  Definitely will be reading that one in the privacy of my own home, though.

Plus I chopped off all my hair and before that visited my nieces and nephews and then did other stuff and generally have had a completely terrific week off work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment