Sunday, June 26, 2011

Robopocalypse!

So I just read Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson.  Which is not YA, but whatever.  At first I was excited to have a whole new genre to catch up on:  robot uprisings and whatnot.  I can't believe I've been missing out on these my whole life!  It's even better than zombie apocalypsi because the robot thing is probably actually going to happen someday, and debating survival techniques would therefore not be a total waste of time.  Sadly, reading this book didn't leave me informed enough to develop a strategy.  I will have to do more research.  (FYI, my zombie plan: immediate suicide if there's an outbreak.)

So Robopocalypse kind of annoyed me because I was really gearing up for a rollicking sci-fi adventure, and it was pretty awesome for a little while and then I realized it was more than half over and was still just trudging along, one. scene. after. another.  It's done in World War Z-style "oral history" bits. See, this one awesome hero found the robots' archive of war footage, so we get the story told in bits and pieces in a series of different voices, almost all gratingly "dude-ish." So mostly it's brief scenes of rad robot carnage that seem written with a movie script in mind, followed by a paragraph or two provided by our hero narrator attempting to tie the event into the big picture of the war.  Just... lazy writing.  Just go ahead and write a screenplay from the start!  There's no actual need for it be a "novel" first.  Then again, the very last scene?  That cringe-inducingly unnecessary one after it's all over?  Does not bode well for the movie version...


Anyhoo.  I just saw this. Self-driving cars.  And all I can say is noooooo!!  It's just a matter of time before they start running us over.

No comments:

Post a Comment